Skip to content

Travel Resources

Health, safety, and security resources for Ball State faculty and staff:


Travel Insurance Benefits:
Ball State has provided you with business travel accident insurance coverage, along with travel assistance services, to help you with travel mishaps or emergencies during your international travel.  See AXA Travel Assistance on the left side of this page for more details.
Travel Insurance ID Cards:
Click the AXA Travel Assistance button on the left side of this page in order to access your AXA Travel Assistance ID card.

Medical Assistance:
For medical assistance, contact AXA Assistance USA.  They will coordinate medical evacuations and referrals for local hospitals and providers.

Vaccine Information:
Request a Country Report (see below) and locate the Health Advisory section to see the recommended vaccinations for your area of travel.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
The CDC website offers detailed health and safety information including information about vaccinations.  The site also provides Travel Health Notices for your area of travel.


Country Reports:
Visit AXA Travel Eye and register on their website if you’d like to receive a Country Report focusing on travel-related crime, terrorism, civil unrest, kidnapping and ransom, transportation, cyber concerns, plus health and security developments.  Or, you may contact the Office of Risk Management and request a Country Report by sending an email to

Travel Assistance:
For assistance with flight, hotel, or rental car re-bookings, contact AXA Travel Eye.  They can also assist with emergency return travel arrangements, lost/stolen baggage assistance, and lost passport/travel documents.

Fire Safety Abroad:
This OSAC document details the steps you, your employees, and your family can take as protection from the dangers of fire. The document examines steps you can take while staying in a hotel as well as in your own home.

Rental Car Insurance:
If you rent a vehicle outside of the U.S. you need to purchase the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) at the vehicle rental counter.  This will provide physical damage coverage for the vehicle, and it's the only way to guarantee complete protection.  Click here to see Tips for Driving Abroad.


Assistance with Visas or Passports:
Keep your passport in a secure location while abroad and leave a copy with the university.   This will be helpful in proving your citizenship and identity if your passport is lost or stolen.  If you are traveling with family members, you should manage their documents in the same manner and be aware that you may need to present your child's birth certificate in some countries.  If you have questions about obtaining a visa or passport, or if you need assistance with your visa or passport, you may visit the Travel Document Systems website(  For passport assistance you may also visit the U.S. Department of State website by clicking here (Travel.State.Gov).

Evacuation Procedures:
Evacuations may become necessary in the event of a medical problem, civil unrest, or other emergency.  Your AXA Travel Assistance benefits will provide resources for safe and swift evacuation if necessary.  Also, the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate can provide information and, possibly, resources for evacuation services as well.
U.S. State Department and U.S. Embassy or Consulate Resources:
All travelers must be registered with the State Department through its Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), which enables the local embassy or consulate to notify the traveler in case of an emergency. In addition, each traveler should have the contact information and location of the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate while traveling.